Well, the anniversary of the blog was very well celebrated thanks to all of you!
Initially it was about experimenting with two very different types of cuisine, British and Meditteranean , but as time went on, it became more of an experiment with food and cooking in general.
I started asking myself what kind of British foods had I been missing the most since moving to Italy.
The answer was more than obvious, pies!!
Us Brits really do know how to make pies, if I say so myself!
One of my favourite pies is this one.
Traditionally from the North of England rather than the South, it is probably one of the easiest and tastiest pies you could ever make.
The saltiness of the beef, the sweetness of the onions and the moist soft potatoes make it truly irrisistible!
I recommend you use tinned corned beef as the flavour tends to be stronger but any old corned beef will do.
I was pleasantly surprised to find Tinned Corned Beef in the supermarket here, but it was great to realise that even the Italians appreciate these gorgeous flavours.
I made this one a few weekends ago for a picnic and really went down a treat with the Italian folk.
Hope you try it too!
So on with the recipe.
Initially it was about experimenting with two very different types of cuisine, British and Meditteranean , but as time went on, it became more of an experiment with food and cooking in general.
I started asking myself what kind of British foods had I been missing the most since moving to Italy.
The answer was more than obvious, pies!!
Us Brits really do know how to make pies, if I say so myself!
One of my favourite pies is this one.
Traditionally from the North of England rather than the South, it is probably one of the easiest and tastiest pies you could ever make.
The saltiness of the beef, the sweetness of the onions and the moist soft potatoes make it truly irrisistible!
I recommend you use tinned corned beef as the flavour tends to be stronger but any old corned beef will do.
I was pleasantly surprised to find Tinned Corned Beef in the supermarket here, but it was great to realise that even the Italians appreciate these gorgeous flavours.
I made this one a few weekends ago for a picnic and really went down a treat with the Italian folk.
Hope you try it too!
So on with the recipe.
Corned Beef and Potato Pie
Ingredients
2 large sheets of ready made pastry (best quality possible)
500 gs or more depending on your taste of floury potatoes, peeled and cut into smallish pieces
2 medium onions
One 500 gs or more tin of corned beef
1 tsp of Worcestershire Sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
Eggwash for the pastry
Directions
Boil your potatoes until very soft and mash when done.
In the meantime, chop your onions and boil them until extremely soft and sweet.
Line your baking dish with a sheet of pastry, cover with beans/cereals etc and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Place your corned beef, mashed potatoes and cooked onions in a bowl and mix them all in very well.
Add your Worcestershire Sauce and season to taste.
Remove your pastry from the oven and pour the corned beef mixture into it.
Cover with the second sheet of pastry, use a fork to make some incisions and spread the eggwash all over it.
Bake in the oven on 180 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown!
Enjoy!!

Comments
Post a Comment