Roasted Red Pepper Marinara

I've always wanted to learn how to make my own marinara sauce. I tried for about a year but could never get it just right.  I knew all the basics, tomatoes, garlic, onion, wine... and I knew if I added sugar, I would get closer but it still just wasn't right.  Finally, one day it came to me! Puree roasted red peppers and add it to the sauce. The peppers gave me the sweetness I needed and added another layer of flavor. Took me long enough, but it was worth the wait.

Roasted Red Pepper Marinara
recipe by Sabrina W. for eat.drink.and be merry.
yields 4 cups
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced or 1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 15oz can of san marzano tomatoes, pureed
1 15oz jar of roasted red peppers, pureed
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/3 cup red wine (what you have really, I've used white before)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons Italian seasonings
salt & pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
olive oil

Heat olive oil in a skillet over med-hi heat.  Add the onions and sprinkle with salt.  Cook onions until translucent.  Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes.  Add wine and reduce for 2 minutes.  Add tomato paste and stir.  Add pureed tomatoes and stir.  Add pureed peppers.  Once blended, add salt, pepper, Italian seasonings, and red pepper flakes. Add balsamic vinegar and stir.  Reduce heat to med-low and simmer for 10 minutes.




Comments