Chicken Salad with Cranberries, Apples, & Walnuts

There is just something about the weather getting warmer that gets me excited about picnics! My chicken salad recipe is perfect for a packed lunch to go. I have brought it with me to the beach many times!

I have always loved my mom's Waldorf Salad recipe. So one day I asked her what was in it and I thought it would be perfect with chicken. I love the sweet and savory flavors of the apples & cranberries coated in the spices. I also substituted the traditional mayonnaise with greek yogurt to make it healthier. I couldn't tell the difference.

Chicken Salad with Cranberries, Apples, & Walnuts
recipe by Sabrina W. for eat.drink.and be merry.
yields 4 servings
3 medium chicken breasts, (or 4 cups leftover shredded chicken)
1 McIntosh apple, peeled and diced small and sprinkled with lemon juice
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup plain greek yogurt (or mayonnaise) 
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon sugar (I usually sprinkle in about 3 pinches) 
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
salt & pepper to your taste

Boil chicken until cooked through, about 15 minutes. Once cooled, shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces.

In a large bowl, mix shredded chicken, diced apple, cranberries, & walnuts. In a separate small bowl, combine yogurt and spices. You may like to adjust spices to your taste. Pour yogurt mixture in with chicken and toss. Refrigerate up to 30 minutes to allow flavors to marry. 

Comments