When I bought the Powerfoods cookbook I knew that this would be a recipe I would need to try! I love hummus and sweet potatoes, so this is right up my alley :)
This is such a healthy snack option! Serve with some pita chips or fresh vegetables and you have the perfect alternative to those creamy and cheesy dips we love so much.
This recipe makes quite a bit, so I think I'll be using the rest later in the week in a veggie wrap.
Sweet Potato Hummus
recipe from the Powerfoods Cookbook
yields 4 cups
1 lb sweet potatoes (about 2), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup lemon juice, from 1 to 2 lemons
1/4 cup tahini
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon hot or smoked paprika for garnish
Fill a large pot with 2 inches of water; set a steamer basket (or colander) inside the pot, and bring water to a boil. Add potatoes, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are tender. About 10 to 12 minutes.
Transfer potatoes to a food processor. Add chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, oil, cumin, and garlic. Puree until smooth, about 1 minute; thin with up to 2 tablespoons of water if necessary. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and season with pepper. Let cool; refrigerate for up to 1 week in an airtight container. Garnish with paprika before serving.
Linked with Yummy Mummy Link Party
This is such a healthy snack option! Serve with some pita chips or fresh vegetables and you have the perfect alternative to those creamy and cheesy dips we love so much.
This recipe makes quite a bit, so I think I'll be using the rest later in the week in a veggie wrap.
Sweet Potato Hummus
recipe from the Powerfoods Cookbook
yields 4 cups
1 lb sweet potatoes (about 2), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup lemon juice, from 1 to 2 lemons
1/4 cup tahini
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon hot or smoked paprika for garnish
Fill a large pot with 2 inches of water; set a steamer basket (or colander) inside the pot, and bring water to a boil. Add potatoes, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are tender. About 10 to 12 minutes.
Transfer potatoes to a food processor. Add chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, oil, cumin, and garlic. Puree until smooth, about 1 minute; thin with up to 2 tablespoons of water if necessary. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and season with pepper. Let cool; refrigerate for up to 1 week in an airtight container. Garnish with paprika before serving.
Linked with Yummy Mummy Link Party
Comments
Post a Comment